Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips on WAVE-Links and Teamcenter Implementation? (NX 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMAC90

Automotive
Jul 7, 2015
US
Some topics have arisen at work regarding WAVE Geometry Linker, how WAVE links interact with Reference Sets in NX, and the eventual implementation and storage of WAVE-mirrored parts in Teamcenter...

Are Reference Sets able to be outputted as a specified name prior to WAVE-mirroring? The resulting mirrored component has a Reference Set with a name along the lines of "Linked Mirror Part (MODEL)" or maybe it was "...(PART)" (I can't remember the exact name at the moment), but is there a way to set the name as something different? Renaming post part-creation doesn't seem to work...

Also, does anyone have any tips on managing product revisions using WAVE linked parts? As in, if you mirror one part from another in the Teamcenter database, changes to occur to the base-component should automatically reflect on the mirrored-component upon reopening the part.

Thanks!

-GMAC90

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any feedback? The only reason I cannot get a part to pass in a data-quality check is because of the name of the Reference Set that is pre-determined...

Inside the part file you can create a new reference set and name it pretty much whatever you want. After you wave link the body, you can add it to the reference set. I don't know of any standard NX option that upon creation of a wave link feature would create a reference set for you.

www.nxjournaling.com

cowski said:
Inside the part file you can create a new reference set and name it pretty much whatever you want. After you wave link the body, you can add it to the reference set. I don't know of any standard NX option that upon creation of a wave link feature would create a reference set for you.

We're using the "Create Linked Mirror Part" command which allows you to create an all-new mirrored part of the original (great for LH/RH parts on a vehicle, that you know are to be perfectly symmetrical of each other), however when you do this, it creates an additional Reference Set in the mirrored part itself that the data-quality checker doesn't seem to like...

Renaming the Reference Set in this situation doesn't seem to be working either. It can't be removed either, otherwise the WAVE link will be broken.

The ultimate goal is to establish a WAVE link from our base LH component, through Teamcenter so as we establish the mirrored, RH component, ANY changes down-the-road to the LH component will be reflected... The "Create Linked Mirror Part" command allows you to designate the resulting mirrored geometry to an all-new Item/location in Teamcenter that references the original part.

The simple wave link Mirror Body command creates just the standard MODEL reference set. Are you doing this in TC or NX? I don't see a "Create Linked Mirror Part" command in NX 9 Native.

alj722 said:
The simple wave link Mirror Body command creates just the standard MODEL reference set. Are you doing this in TC or NX? I don't see a "Create Linked Mirror Part" command in NX 9 Native.

It is done in NX within the Assembly module... Under the Assembly Navigator, if you right-click the "Descriptive Part Name" box, make sure the WAVE selection is checked and then you can right-click on a component/assembly in the tree and highlight WAVE and then scroll over to "Create Linked Mirror Part."

Then you're able to select a mirror plane and designate a location for the new part/file... if you're running NX through TC, you can set-up a new Item for the part as well in the TC database. It's a nice little feature, the only issue is the quality checker we run our parts through doesn't seem to like the "Linked (Model)" reference set that comes along with it.

I see it now. I've never seen that command. Very interesting. Thanks! And I see your problem with the reference set and I'm sorry to say I have nothing to offer on that.

alj722 said:
I see it now. I've never seen that command. Very interesting. Thanks! And I see your problem with the reference set and I'm sorry to say I have nothing to offer on that.

Sure! ...and no problem. Unless there's a way to program the operation to output a different reference set name, I think we're pretty much stuck. You can change the name, but then the mirrored part is forced out-of-date and fails the quality check. Then you bring the part back up-to-date and the original part is re-referenced and the reference set name returns to the original and again, the part doesn't pass. I think it's safe to say that the checker simply doesn't approve... no way around it.

just wondering what automotive company you are doing work for? At the one I work for, no user defined reference sets are allowed (except in special cases0, which might be why you are having issues with the checker.

I don't believe that there is any interaction between WAVE links and reference sets, since reference sets are collectors of different types of data and all types of data (wave linked, splines, sheets,etc ) can be put into a reference set.

Site defined reference sets can be set up and approved in the checkers if absolutely need be and approved by your company.

The reference set that is acceptable to the checker at my company(in most instances) is Model (PART)

Just some thoughts for you.

So we have software where you can design space shuttle but admins made checkers that limit your our design to making just nuts and bolts... Good for me is to know that my company is not that bad, considering limitations I see in other companies. But I will fight for freedom in design even if it is war against windmills.

And if some of NX/TC admins are reading this, can you explain to me why there is so many limitation in how engineers use NX? Isn't the point to let them to be creative and to have space to improve design? And from my point of view after 15+ years in Unigraphics/NX I find custom reference sets as very powerful tool for arranging and managing large assemblies.

BTW I am sorry that I can't help with this problem, as I do not have licence for NX9 atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back