Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips to settle sludge from wastewater

Status
Not open for further replies.

potvincm

Chemical
Oct 19, 2004
CA

I have a waste stream with metal sludge I need to settle in a cone basin. The effluent is to be drained to be treated. It is the aqueous solution result of an alkaline cleaner and a chromate solution.

Are there any rules of thumb for this, or articles etc?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did not see any statement on whether this is batch or continuous. However, I would try some bench testing with the wastewater. At minimum, you will need some glassware, maybe a stirrer. If need be, you can check aditives to help the settling. Chrome-based wastes will settle slower than other metals.

Regarding additives to help the settling, perhaps contact your water treatment specialty chemcials and treatment programs vendor. You likely already use one at your water treatment or boiler plants, if you have one. (eg: Betz, Nalco).
You didn't supply details, but, of course, further analysis of fundamentals, such as pH (is it even precipitating?), existing process hydraulics (cone basin?.. clarifier?), etc, would be a good first step.
Good luck.

potvincm,

you need to provide more details on what you are doing. For example, is this a batch or continuous operation?

Potvincm:

There are any number of chemistries available to enhance the settling/sedimentation of your chromite sludge. Please contact us at orendatech@earthlink.net if you would like to pursue this approach.

Orenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back