Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Titanium Dioxide - Bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiketheEngineer

Structural
Sep 7, 2005
US
From an old Structural who actually did pretty good in university Chemistry but that was almost 40 years ago!!!

We have a bunch of industrial equipment (1.9'' galvanized tube) that has TO "caked" on it. The user wants us to take it back. They contaminated it.

From what I have read, this is not very nice stuff - not horrible - but not good.

My gut reaction is that we do not want it back - virtually impossible to clean completely - in and out.

Your ideas??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As you wrote it is not horrible but not nice neither. I would require a proper cleaning incl. cpl. flushing and a written declaration of decontamination, signed and stamped. Then, and only then, you take it back under reservation, make your own inspections and decide finally what you do. This procedure makes sense and is reasonable for a good client only. For any other clients: Refuse to take it back.

Titanium dioxide is widely used in cosmetic products and other such uses, so it's pretty low on the hazard scale. It's also used extensively in latex paints as a whitener. But like anything, including that arch-carcinogen called sawdust, dust is bad to breathe.

Do the clean-up wet with a pressure washer. Or better still, get HIM to clean up what he messed up.

I did read the MSDS - that's what got my attention. And I did know that it makes white paint WHITE!! I have read those ingredients also.

And it is used in many apps - including some food products!!! Our problem is the clean up - virtually impossible to get it out of every crevice and cranny!!

Thanks for your help. I think we will just refuse to take it back!!

We don't need the down the road ramifications!!

TO is used as a pigment in white paint. We used to use it many moons ago when formulating plastics. Back then,no one ever heard of MSDS's or "Right to Know".

If it is impossible to fully clean the pipe for resale then i'd say that you should refuse re-stocking under the condition that the material is no longer in the same condition as when it was sold.
TiO2 in small quantities shouldn't cause any environmental or hazard issues.

Just to put this into perspective, of all of the Ti mined in the world 96% of it ends up as TiO2 pigment in everything from food to paint.
Solid TiO2 is so inter that it is harmless, but like any fine dust it can get into you lungs and lead to issues. And since most pigment depends on fine uniform dispersion it is usually milled to sub-micron particle size.
I wouldn't touch someones stuff because you don't know what else is in it.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Thanks for all the info. When our guys got a batch of it back - they all ended up at the eye wash station hacking their lungs out.

We quickly ended operations and told the customer - we don't want it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back