Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Titanium lining for Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger.Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

DK44

Mechanical
Sep 20, 2017
IN
I am in need of developing details of Titanium lining for following components of TEMA type Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger.

1. Carbon Steel Tube sheet with Titanium lining on Tube side face.
2. Carbon Steel Welding Neck type Girth Flange with Titanium liner at Bore and Gasket face.
3. L/Seam and C/Seam for Titanium Clad CS Shell barrel / Channel barrel. I understand there is a loose liner Technic for these cases. Actual details are not known.
4. Titanium liner at Floating Head Flange and dish on Tube side.
5. Are there standards in ISO or BS or other and can an access be provided for the same.

Grateful if any body provide guide lines for above with geometrical details and other guidance instructions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know metengr and/or Ed will correct me if needed but:

I have always been given to understand that you cannot fusion weld anything to Ti except Ti. So,

1) Any kind of loose liner is truly loose, i.e. cannot be attached to a CS backer by plug welding, etc.
2) While a cylinder with head can be fabricated from det clad, a weld overlaid body flange is out. Weld overlaid floating heads, out.
3) Weld overlaid pipe and nozzle flanges, out.

You'd have to find someone to det clad (or something) all these parts.

On Edit: Re: #2) I am actually not certain you could adequately restore the Ti clad at the backer seams, but maybe so.

I'd revisit the metallurgy.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Ti can be explosively welded to steel plate.
This how the autoclaves in the gold mines are built, among other applications.
It is straightforward to weld cover strips over the seams.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

EdStainless, yes I suppose so, but the cover strips are not attached to the base metal, correct?

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Ti cover strips are not attached to the base metal.

Ti can be vacuum brazed to steel using Silver rich braze alloys. it would be possible to braze Ti to nozzles and flange faces. I have seen loose Ti liners used in these applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back