Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Titanium surface treatments to avoid fretting and wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavva78

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2008
IT
Hello,

I have to manufacture a part in Ti6Al4V due to stiffness reasons, for a space application. Our customer told us that, due to poor resistance of this material to fretting and wear, we'd better apply a surface treatment. The suggested alternatives are anodic oxidation as per SAE AMS 2488D, hard coating with tungsten carbide or cobalt thermal spray. After a brief investigation with our suppliers I found that they don't know the AMS normative, and a possible solution could be a CrN coating, with a hardness 2500-2700 HV and a thickness of 2-3 micron. What do you think is better to use? This part must be also electrically conductive in 4 small areas: how can I treat these areas so that they are conductive? On aluminium we usually apply anodic oxidation protecting conductive areas, then we treat them with alodine.

Thanks and regards.

Marco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The thin, ultrahard CrN may not perform that well on Ti because of the large differences in elastic moduli and surface hardness. I would go with anodizing or thermal spray.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks unclesyd, I found Tiodize. The problem is I'm in Italy and the suppliers I contacted don't use the AMS 2488 / Tiodize anodization procedure, so I would like to know if there is any alternative.

Marco

I would contact Tiodize to see if they have represenetives in Italy. Since they are big in racing they might know about someone in your arena who uses Tiodize and similar process.

Marco,

Since this is for a space application, you may not have the luxury of using a local supplier. If you have already contacted more than one company and they are not capable of meeting the requirements of SAE AMS 2488D, then you should either use a qualified North American supplier like Tiodize, General Magnaplate, etc., or you should investigate the thermal spray coating option. Sulzer Metco will be able to perform this in Europe using a Mo-based coating.

Thanks for your replies. Does anyone know if there is a standard to use as reference when performing a passivation (cleaning) of titanium ti6al4v?

Marco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back