Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Titen HD Screws w/ Square Washer vs. Redhead Wedge Anchors vs. 5/8" Threaded Steel Rods (Epoxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffCastillo

Structural
Apr 10, 2021
US
Hello:

I am trying to find different alternatives to J-Bolts, all 5/8", 7" Min. embedmenet into concrete; I am trying to compare these different anchors and determine which is best for residential/commercial buildings in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah area (Wind controls and occasioanly seismic in Wyoming). I found some specifications on the Simpson Titen HD but I am trying to find the Redhead and Fully Threaded technical data sheet or allowable loads so I can compare which is the most suitable.

I was wondering if anyone has had any positive/negative experience with any of the bolts listed? Any feedback is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not a huge fan of wedge anchors due to their method of load transfer, i.e. outward pressure to create friction. In residential type work at best this anchor is usually 4" from the edge of concrete, clashing with the reinforcing steel or even outside of the reinforcing steel and I've seen too many times where the outside of the concrete has just popped off.

Same here... usually spec:

-ADHESIVE ANCHORS FOR CONCRETE TO BE HDG AND CONFORM TO ASTM F1554, GRADE 55 S1 OR HILTI HAS-E-55. SIZE AS SPEC’D. SECURE USING HILTI HIT-HY 200 ADHESIVE INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH MANUFACTURER’S PRINTED INSTRUCTIONS. EMBED LENGTH SHALL BE 3-1/2” MIN U/N.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I've spec'd out Titans for anchor bolts, and the framing contractor loved them, however the GC gave me an ear full when discussing the project after the fact since I guess it was a significant cost increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back