Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

title block description and revision control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

regnit

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2004
US
Hello,

Do you need to change the revision of a part if the only thing to change on the drawing is the item description?

Nothing changed except for what we call it internally.

Thanks,
Reg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The change should be noted in some fashion. I've worked in companies where we have called them 'none' changes and used 'none' in the revision block with the description of the change (i.e. corrected spelling from 'detial A' to 'detail A'; revised title from 'Shim' to 'Spacer'). There would be no official notification of the drawing change - a vendor could have revision C without the subsequent 'none' change or could have revision C with the 'none' change. This worked 'ok' until an engineer 'forgets' wht he is doing and in addition to making the innocuous change makes a physical change to the part and then all hell breaks loose. The goof-proof way of doing this is to revise the part.

Bottom line: Just be consistent. Have a policy and follow it. My slight preference is to revise it as you would with respect to any interchangable change if you must change it. But resist making such changes at all. Changes are dangerous and cost money...

Peter Truitt
Minnesota

I would say YES! Once a Drawing is in a released state and in circulation, if the drawing is revised for any reason and the change is not documented, how would one know what the proper version of the drawing is? If audited how would you defend the change? How could you easily prove that the only change made was in the Title Block with out a complete drawing check? If a practice like this is followed, what stops anyone from making changes and not documenting it? Today it's a part description, tomorrow someone makes a tolerance change and no one notices. The part gets made and does not meet print. What then? Just food for thought.

Consider the OP "...change the revision of a part...". Most documentation experts say that documents have revisions and parts do not. The distinction is very, very important. But even experts goof up the teminology sometimes. For instance, Frank Watts goofed up on page 30 of his "Engineering Documentation Control Handbook" (Third edition)in the first full paragraph. He agreed with me that it was misstated when I contacted him.

Peter Truitt
Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back