Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

TO BE MASTER IN NX. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

suyog21

Automotive
Feb 23, 2011
IN
CAN ANY ONE TELL THAT IF YOUR WORKING IN AUTOMOTIVE, POWER, OIL&GAS OR IN AEROSPACE INDUSTRY. ON DESIGNER POINT OF VIEW WHAT SKILLS OF NX NEED TO BE MASTER IN THAT INDUSTRY.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX skills are pretty much interchangable in those industries with the exception of automotive and aerospace, which usually require stronger surfacing skills
(please don't shout)

“Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

To be a master in design would be the better question.
Time, product experience and the natural ability to have things set-up in your head upfront is a key.
No matter the discipline and the CAD system.
NX or any other are nothing but a bunch of buttons to help put your head content on a screen so to communicate it.

Capslock?

I totally agree with daluigi. NX is a tool.
You must master NX to be able to fully profit from it's potential, but in the end it is a tool.

Your ability to transform an idea to a design is the most important key to succes.
NX is helpful, but you have to sharpen your focus, imagination and creativity to be succesful.

Older budweiser
NX8.5 & NX9.0 64bit, hp z820

DFM

Design
For
Manufacturability

Any CAD system will allow you to create something that in the real world may be very difficult to manufacture. Learn how things are made successfully and adapt from those designs.

I agree NX is just the tool to get the job done.

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6, NX7.5,NX8.5, NX9.0
Vericut7.3

I heard Google is working on this thing where they plug in a probe in the back of your head and you learn everything in a few miuntes. Or maybe that was the "Matrix". j/k

Seriously, it just takes time and experience. I've been doing UG / NX for 20 years and still learning new things about the software.

A mechanic with snap on tools (Put your favorite high dollar tools brand here) does not make a person a good mechanic. But How the mechanic fixes your vehicle and how this person goes about fixing your vehicle is what makes a mechanic. NX is the same way. One can model a part but does not mean it is done correctly with desgin intent and robust modeling skills. It is a tool. A great tool and many different ways to use this tool. I think if you want to be a master I agree with all what has been said plus I would like to add programing skills to this list. If you can program NX like Cowski can, you can make NX do what ever you want quickly. (By the way that is how some mechanics are paid, Hours the book says it takes to do a job vs the hours the mechanic actually does the job in.)

I am not quite sure if programming is a condition for being a very good CAD designer....
Maybe in Catia, which allow easy and better results using macros......

MZ7DYJ

Years ago (like in the early 80's) when I was still working in sales, virtually all of our customers were new to CAD/CAE/CAM and when asked for a simple explanation of exactly "What does CAD do?" one of ways we described it was as an 'amplifier' which would allow your best people to 'amplify' their current skills and abilities to do more with what they already knew. CAD will NOT turn an entry-level draftsman into an instant expert designer, but it could take your best people and give them the tools needed to accomplish more then they could possibly do without CAD.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I have been working on automotive interior. I have been using modeling, drafting and assembly modules.. What else modules/bundles i need to learn. And I heard some words like design automation, KBE. Are nx modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back