Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To CSWP or not to CSWP... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

swmetal

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2006
US
Hi all,
Been a user for a number of years, mostly self taught and proficient in what I do, mainly machine design.
I've seen all the SW issue manuals and not impressed with their content. Seems as though someone interested in taking the CSWP exam would need more than just a "press this button..." type manual. Can any of you CSWP's suggest where to get more in depth information, and how much depth is actually needed i.e. how many know all about all? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Got this fwd'd to me from my reseller:

Dear SolidWorks Reseller,

We are announcing exciting changes to the Certified SolidWorks Professional (CSWP) Program that will allow you to focus your time, attention, and resources on software sales, service and training.

Effective October 1, 2007 customers will now be able to take the CSWP exam online. Customers will also have the ability to specialize in areas of interest including advanced exams in FEA, Motion, Surfacing and Sheet Metal.

Beginning October 1, 2007 you will no longer be allowed to sell the Certified SolidWorks Professional (CSWP) exam directly to customers. Instead, we will replace this infrequently offered service with a more sophisticated online system that will help significantly improve the availability of the CSWP to our worldwide customers. This new system will also allow us to quickly identify areas where customers lack the necessary skills in SolidWorks and need additional training (which we can then pass on to your organizations.)

Logistically this means any CSWP exams you have scheduled beyond September 30, 2007 must be cancelled. All CSWP exam materials (paper certificates, portfolios, instructions) and electronic tools (submission macro, ftp site, grading server) will no longer be available after September 30, 2007.

More details about the new online CSWP products will be announced shortly and available in Q4 to customers/VAR employees. Program updates and information will be available here:
We will also be replacing the SolidWorks Authorized Training, Testing and Support Center designation for resellers with two new designations:

- Certified Training and Support Provider (CTSP), and

- Certified Advanced Services Provider (CASP)

There is a new Terms and Conditions document available on the VAR Resource Center (located under Services, Certification) that explains how to achieve and maintain these designations

I received this from my local user group:

Certified SolidWorks Associate exam

The Certified SolidWorks Associate (CSWA) exam is a three-hour on-line exam similar to the CSWP exam. This test is meant for anyone that isn’t quite ready for the full-blown CSWP, or for anyone who is thinking about becoming a CSWP and would like to gauge where they stand before committing to it. We are prepared to offer any SolidWorks user that attends a user group meeting in the next three months a FREE test. Certain rules apply:

They must attend the meeting in order to receive a coupon good for the test.
They must complete the test within 10 calendar days of the meeting.
Coupons are non-transferable.

In addition, any user group member that passes the CSWA exam will be given a FREE CSWP exam at a later date (details are still being worked out).

The new CSWP program sounds interesting...I am a sys admin and past attempts to convince management that we need some of our design engineers to become CSWP's have been fruitless. The hefty price tag (though it's cheaper at SW-World) and time required to train and take the exam outweighed the benefits, as far as the managers were concerned.

I also like the specialization...we do a LOT of sheet metal, so we'd be more inclined to make someone a CSWP if they could then become a CSWP-Sheet Metal guru.

Thanks to all for your help.
I need to decide the value of such a certification. Not sure its recognized, or needs to be, for much outside of personal achievment.
Thanks again!

swmetal,
For what it's worth, I wouldn't have had my last two jobs without being a CSWP. I just started where I am now, having spent two years in my previous position as a CAD Admin. My salary has increased 34% in two years. Perhaps my situation isn't the best example, but I believe it does show that being a CSWP does carry a little weight.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back