Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To do list 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruz

Mechanical
Apr 8, 2003
CA
Does any one have any software or techniques for managing their To Do List.

Thanks
Peter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mike (and others),

There is a way to manage your outlook data in separate .pst files based on , for example, the year the messages were sent/received, etc.

It involves a MANUAL archiving method by selecting all messages from that year and exporting to another .pst file that could be named, say, Mike2005.

I have successfully done this, and if I can find my written procedure, I'll post it.

The key is to turn OFF Autoarchive within every folder and stick to manual archiving.

This is not possible with Outlook Express.

You will effectively set up a "current" Outlook data file, and you can have access to the previous data files.

Warning - be prepared to spend 3-4 hrs doing this, but I thought it was well worth it.

Each .pst file has a 2 GB limit, but there is (I think) no limit on the amount of .pst files you can use.

tg

Doesn't Outlook have folders & stuff?

Or are all the folders stored in one big file?

Hg

Eng-Tips guidelines: faq731-376

All the folders within Outlook are in the one big file.

I look forwared to trainguy's technique.

In the meantime, it's been reported that MS has promised that in some unnamed future version of OL, the file size limit will be 33TB, or something like that. For current versions, you're still screwed if you get caught by this colossal programming gaffe.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

No, each folder is a unique pst file. Personal Folders are stored locally, the ones under the 'Outlook Today' are stored on the server, in my case.

So, I create a new folder under Personal Folders, and move all the stuff in the Inbox and Sent I want to keep into that.

Bear in mind that you'll need to back up the Personal Folders, in case of a hard drive crash.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

The alternative would be to hit the delete button once in a while. It is surprising how many emails you can easily live without.

Another option I like very much is print and put in binder. 20 years later the mail is still there, no need for intermediate conversions to a different file type, migrations to a different computer...

Carving in marble would be even better, but nothing we write in this 21st century appears to be worth filing for another 2000 years.

I use a program on my PDA & computer called Trenotes. It's sort of like using outlook tasks but with more power. The main feature I liked was the ability to have sub tasks and auto updates for the main tasks. I.e - I have a main project with 10 subtasks... when I complete all the subtasks the main project shows as complete. I find it much better than outlook.

Hello all - here it is, long winded, but straight forward:
Note - I'm using Outlook 2000 SP3

First, ensure that all your folders & subfolders have Autoarchive disabled (right click on sub-folder, properties - autoarchive - UNCHECK "clean out items older than..."

On folder list, highlight the root folder (use the main folder)

File/ archive

Select "archive this folder and all sub-folders"

Highlight the folder you want archived in the small window

Input a date before which you want to remove messages

Make sure to include a check on "include items with DO NOT ARCHIVE"

Browse to a location where you'll want to place your new archive file

Input a file name, e.g. Mike_2004_emails.pst

Hit OK, and the messages will be moved. You can actually see them being moved to a folder
(on the folder list) called archive file (the default name, which has nothing to do with the
pst file name on your drive. (On my machine, 100 Mb got extrached in approx. 15 minutes,
so be patient)

The next step:

File/open/personal folders file
Select the new file (Mike_2004_emails.pst)
It will now appear as another root folder on Outlook, but with the name (Archive file)

Right click on the root folder in folder list ("Archive file")
Properties / advanced
Enter name (overwrite "Archive file" text)
This must be done from the ADVANCED window, not the properties window.

OK
OK

A good idea now is to rename your current pst file to e.g. Mike - current,
so it appears different than your other "archive files"

Typically, you can close your "old data" file by right-clicking on it and select "close"
and you only access the older data files when you need them.

The next step is to be done at night, before leaving:

Highlight your current data file.
Rightclick - properties - advanced - Compact Now
THis could take 1-2 hrs, but this is required in order to shrink your current data
file size on the hard drive to its new expected (smaller) size, oddly this is required.

If you do not do this last step, the size on the hard drive won't change even
though you've extracted a ton of data.

The correct file size can be checked within Outlook using:

Right click on your folder
properties/folder size.

This should match the actual size on your hard drive.

Important note:

If you look at the "date modified" of one of your archive files on the hard drive, it will not read
(Dec 2004), it will read today's date, or the date at which you last opened that pst file in Outlook.

I think this is related to journal entries, but your email messages will only be from that period so don't worry about it

Another annoyance, you may have to reset your visible fields (sent / received / date etc)
when opening the "old data" file.

Got to get back to work...

tg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back