Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

To little thread will the operator notice? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verkstad

Mechanical
May 17, 2011
SE
If someone is using a torque wrench and there is to little thread and he hit the predrilled hole with the bolt. Will the guy using the torque wrench notice that? So that he can change bolt or add some thread?

I told our cheif engineer in a case that the thread will be too little if the schim would be zero and he claimed that the operator would notice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Design for manufacturing eliminates such possibilities; we once second sourced a part from Hitachi that was actually second sourced from Motorola. Their photolithography masks had no test chips and our process engineers were concerned about not being able to monitor the process; the Hitachi engineers said "don't worry, it'll work." We said "you didn't specify any process parameters for process and we need to match your process so that everything works; the Hitachi engineers said "don't worry, it'll work."

So we run the parts through our process with no process monitoring possible; the first lot yielded more parts than we ever yielded with our own designs specifically designed for our own process, and the 2nd and 3rd lots yielded even better than the first. THAT is design for manufacturability magic;

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back