Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

To quit or not to quit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsrow

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2005
US
It's been 8 years since I graduated from college. Currently I'm not satisfied with what I do at work (although I've been doing good job at it) and the pay I recieve. I'm at mid 50k now and I'm told you get what you get and 2.5% raise is good. I asked if I could do design work more often he said he'd try to find some for me, but no guarantee. I used to do lots of this but lately I've been doing lots of managing and mentoring. I hate moving up into senior level but I like the money. I like the people that I work with and I'm pretty much established here. Recently I had interview with a company who is willing to pay me at least 20% more of what I'm making now. I will be doing product design. The product that I will be desinging is OK. It doesn't really wow me too much. I have to make decission soon and I'm dragging my feet. I know that it would take me another 1-2 years to establish my self in the new company, and I may not like what I see. This makes me not wanting to move and be comfortable with what I have now. Having small child is also another factor. The other flip side, if I don't move, I can't see my self grow technically and professionally with the current company. I look at my immediate supervisor, I hate what he does.

Anyone's been in this situation before? how do you approach it?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I must mention that my company is great about keeping up with market trends.

If your scheduled raise doesn't put you in line with what the market is offering, they'll give you more. In fact, that is what happened with me. If I had received the scheduled raise, I would probably be in the mid 50's, but they knew the market was hot, so they gave me a larger raise.

And the bonus is entirely dependent on company profitability. If we don't make money, we don't get a bonus. Period.

Anyway after much consideration, I took the offer and give my 2 weeks notice. I tried to get more money, raises and responsibilities, etc from current boss, he woudln't do it. He said my 3.2% raise is already in the high end. The average is 2%. So I guess it is what it is, take it or leave it kind of thing.

Thanks for everything, It helped me to make a better decission.

kinsrow

Congrats, You've done the right thing.
You might regret it, but it still had to be done.

(From what you've posted I doubt that you will regret it.)

Congrats on the new job!

I was in a similar situation as you. Horrible raises (2.8%)and the only way to get a decent raise was for promotion. And I was told it could be years before being promoted. And the worse thing was that even after promotion I would be doing the same exact job! No additional responsibilities.

After almost three years of working there they were hiring people with the same experience as me but at 10-15K more then what I made. Next stop...monster.com ;)

I lose patience really fast as you can see ;)

That's the thing I don't understand. You would rather pay someone new to come in at higher salary and re-train everything than to give that money to current employee(s) so that at least they are motivated to stay. At around 3% raise for being good, I'm actually making less money in the real time if you count inflation, high gas prices, rent, etc.

Mid $50s is not chump change.

The number of Engr's fresh out of school making that is minimal, and guess what?....they are only getting 2.5% raises too.

In my first position, after 2 years, I heard what the new engineers were making. Very close to what I was making at the time. Probably within 2%!

Now, with 8 years experience and finding that those fresh out of school at your company or competitors are making the same as you, then you either are not performing well and your manager doesn't have the umph to say so, or you need to jump ship.

Jump ship.

I've been out of school for 8 years as well. My salary last year was 2 1/2 times the salary of my first job. You move on, management will eventually see the light and probably give your replacement more money to ensure retention at the position. There are plenty of employers out there who have lost good employees and didn't know what they had till they had to hire a new recruit. Usually they don't make the same mistake twice...unless they're government.

2.5% raise doesn't even cover the cost of inflation. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back