Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TOC reduction in effluents

Status
Not open for further replies.

mendietan

Chemical
Jun 19, 2002
GB
I just graduated and have just started work. The second day I got a project to reduce the flow rate and concentration (TOC) of the effluents of the plant (manufacturing lubricants and surfactants). I have no experience in environmental engineering and have to propose different possibilities or technologies to reduce the flows leaving the plant and TOC levels of the stream. Any suggestions about the possible things to do and how to start?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi mendietan

I'm not sure to understand exactly what "TOC" means as I'm French and haven't seen this before, but I guess it is something like Total Organic Chemicals?

For those kind of compounds, I know that biofilters / bioscrubbing / trickling biofilters can be efficient, but they don't decrease the flow rate significantly. But there are also non biological treatments

Could you be more accurate on the average level of TOC and flow rate (as those can determine which treatment is the best) ?

Grimma

This sounds like a typical first project for new engineers. TOC does indeed refer to the concentration of organics in water. Both aerobic and anerobic digestion (or a combination of the two) are commonly used to reduce TOC. To reduce th flow rate, you will have to identify the individual contributors to the effluent and convince the owning units to cut back. Alternatley, you could find a productive use for the effluent, such as irrigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back