Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toggle anchor strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliemachine

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2020
US
Hi folks I have a problem that I'm second guessing myself on too much for something that's probably very simple. I have to fasten dozens of counterbored 30mm square aluminum extrusion, each about 30" long, to a wall which is a sandwich of plywood and drwyall (long story). I'm planning to fasten them with "snap toggle" anchors, which means the 1/4-20 bolt will be 3.5" long. I will be putting about 70lb onto the top of the extrusion, 3/4" off the wall. My question is, if I'm concerned about the bolt strength do I treat this as a shear problem with a derated capacity (and if so, derated how much?), or as a simple force on a cantilever beam problem? That doesn't seem right because the threaded toggle isn't firmly fixed in place. Alternatively, is there a much more suitable fastening method for this kind of situation? Thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=275c1bcd-51fe-43ca-abac-2f27c5c1cda4&file=wall.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back