Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toggle Switch Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TugboatEng

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2015
US
I operate a fleet of boats with halogen flood lights on them and have been experiencing a lot of failures of the toggle switches. Each wlswitch operates two 500w halogen bulbs at 120v. Well I found out that light bulbs have a tremendous inrush current so even though the switch exceeds the resistive rating they also have a much lower "lamp" rating that is seldom spoken of.

All of that said I will be installing switches with silver/cadmium contacts but they still don't have sufficient ratings. Would it be reasonable to buy two pole switches and run the load in parallel through the switch to increase the rating? I'm trying to avoid any rewiring or relay installation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just replace the switches with whatever junker switch you can find that's waterproof and use one of these:

GMC-9M-10-120

GMC-12M_dynveg.jpg

Keith Cress
kcress -

Reliability is important, these are work boats. We're looking at LEDs by Pontilux because the price is right but I personally prefer Pauluhn for their experience in maritime.

"Those are a bit bulky and I may as well do relays when you get into rotary switch pricing."

You are, I'm sure, familiar with the phrase "You get what you pay for" !

Keith's suggestions are both good.

You know it, I am fanatically NEMA over IEC when buying components. It's just hard talking management into big money when it comes to turning on a light.

You'll probably pick a couple up on ebay for a fraction of list price. I used to buy obsolete Sun workstations off ebay to avoid outrageous repair costs through our control system vendor. :)

Look for "T" rated switches.
Alternatively, compare prices of other solutions with the prices of "T" rated switches.

T-rated switch
Definition:
A switch rated in accordance with the National Electric Code for use in circuits containing tungsten filament lamps.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back