Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tolerance for new piping

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2014
We received some chrome pipe spools back from post weld heat treat the other day and noticed that they were bowed. Some were up to 1-1/8" out of square according to the string line we pulled on them. I have been looking for 2 days for something in the code that will tell me what the tolerance is for this? (like a 1/2" for every 20' or something to that extent is what I'm needing to know) We've done all other necessary testing on the spools now just need to know if they're within the tolerance. This is all built to B31.3. I looked there and was unsuccessful. Any help as to where I can find what we're allowed would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You want to post in the Boiler Forum; however, there is no dimensional tolerance. ASME is just there to prevent "BOOM's". Your pipe won't fo BOOM, so it meets Code. Your problem comes from lacking specifications. Dimensions need to be spec'd, including straightness and surface finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back