Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tolerance num digits

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppinu

Automotive
Apr 21, 2003
MT
Dear all,
Can the number of digits in the tolerances be less than in the nominal value, i.e. I want the nominal val to be one decimal place and the tolerances to be to two decimal places? I know that by defualt it is not possible.
We are using 2001

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you want to happen is not technically correct. How can the nominal value have less significant digits than the limits for the nominal dimension?
Perhaps you mean to say that you would like to have the trailing zeros displayed for the nominal and hidden for the limits?
If the limits have 2 places then the nominal has to have at least 2 places. I worked with a draftsperson that could not understand why the dimension needed to have 3 decimal places when both of the limits only have 2 decimal places. The reason for this was that the limit dimensions were not displaying trailing zeros, but in order to have the needed limits the nominal had to have 3 places or there would be rounding errors.

Also rememeber that if your drawings are in metric units, you cannot use trailing zero's for the extra decimal places.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back