Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TOLERANCE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasannaah

Bioengineer
Sep 28, 2011
US
Learned ones,
I created half part of a symmetric solid and reflected it only to find some kind of overlapping of surfaces over the other.
I then went to the edges panel in Tools to correct t issue.

My doubt is: What is 'TOLERANCE'? I am aware that some numerical have to be given, but would like to know more about TOLERANCE before proceeding to give some values..

Thanks again.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you should ask this question in the specific Forum for the CAD software you are creating your model with. The overlapping you are seeing may be as simple as display issues associated with your graphics card.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

MadMango,
Thank you for replying. Could you please come up with some crystal clear answer for what is TOLERANCE?..few links related to my queries will also be sufficient enough for me to proceed.

Prasannaah

prasannaah,

I doubt that tolerance is an issue here. Tolerances are for fabrication, not modeling. You have probably mirrored about the wrong object, or your centreing object is not centred. These are easy mistakes to make.

As noted above, this is a question for the appropriate CAD forum. Also as noted above, if you have to ask what tolerances are, you should not be doing mechanical design.

Critter.gif
JHG

Well, in fairness, it might be more a case of what tolerance translates as in their native tongue.

Either way, as stated your question doesn't make a lot of sense in English, sorry.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

CAD systems do have tolerance settings for model accuracy...
To answer the OP, NOTHING is perfect, even in the binary world of CAD models. You need to ask about the tolerance settings in your particular CAD system, as they do differ; I recommend reposting in the appropriate CAD forum.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

You might be having a hard time finding a definition for simply "tolerance". You will get better results if you search for the term "dimensional tolerance".
Dimensional Tolerance - An allowance, given as a permissible range, in the nominal dimensions of a finished part. The purpose of a tolerance is to specify the allowed dimensional leeway for imperfections in manufacturing.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back