Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too late to change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gd72

Chemical
Aug 9, 2004
GB
I have been working as a chemical engineer since graduating (8 years ago)in the electronic industry. I have recently been considering changing jobs but wish to move into another industry - (possibly food ?). My question is, will employers take somebody on with 8/9 years experience in another industry ? Would you expect to have to take a drop in pay and benefits whilst you gained experience in another type of industry ( I am currently at senior engineer level). Obviously some of my current experience would be useful in any industry but the majority may not be that useful away from my current job. I am also currently studying an MSc. to broaden my knowledge but am wondering whether it is worthwhile trying to change careers. Any advice would be useful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is never too late to change...just don't expect to make a lateral move into a different field. It is hard to put a price tag on personal satisfaction and happiness. I say go for it and good luck.

Brian

It's been my experience that you can move into a new industry at a lower level of responsibility fairly easily and usually with similar or better salary. It does tend to be frustrating though because of your level of competency in your new field versus your old field. good luck!

Just remember, if they put you in a lower level of responsibility / pay they are doing this for training purposes. As you pick up industry specific knowledge, they will most likely promote you.

It wont be a lateral move, but if you are motivated it wont be that long until you are in a similar position.

Wes C.

I would expect you to be able to handle that sort of transition at the drop of a hat. I went from the automotive industry to electronic/acoustic a few years back, and although there was a learning curve I was able to bring across ways of working they hadn't used before. I certainly picked up a lot of useful stuff about project management from them as well. Admittedly in my case I went back to automotive after the project was over, so perhaps it is a bit more diffcult than I imply.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

gd72:

Formerly, I worked as maintenance engineer at hydroelectric power plants, and I did it for almost 15 years.

Since 4 years, I am working as maintenance engineer at a Diesel power plant (a lot of difference ¡) but here I am applying, without any doubt, the experience attained before.

I can say that I am happy and feel fine, because I am respected and each day I learn and teach something valuable.

If you feel the need to make a move, just do it. go ahead

Ricardo [smile]

My personal experience has been similar to GregLocock, except that I went from aircraft electrical engineering to project engineer for aircraft interiors/structures.

I was selected because of my ability to manage an engineering project, not for my structural engineering skills (VERY limited). But many of the skills I learned running electrical projects (scheduling, task identification and breakdown, timeline construction, drawing standards and review techniques, interpreting Federal Aviation Regulations and industry standards and specifications, leadership, resource management, ad infinitum) have all been beneficial for me to be productive and reduce the learning curve Greg mentions.

debodine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back