Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

!!TOO MANY ATTEMPTS MADE FOR THIS INCREMENT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krzy79

Geotechnical
Oct 21, 2008
PL
hi everyone,

Problem !!TOO MANY ATTEMPTS MADE FOR THIS INCREMENT!!

I'm analysing a problem of tunnel excavation.
Model is 2D and very simple, first step is initial stress and in next, I removed the some elements.
In this simple step program found the problem and cannot lead the calculations foward.
I'll be very grateful for your help.
I've already tried changing the initial increment, min. and max. increment but without success.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How have you applied your loadings i.e. displacement, concerntrated load?

Are you running a Abaqus/standard static analysis?

You could also try a finer mesh

Hope that helps

You could run it with ABAQUS EXPLICIT and in material set the MAX STRAIN of the material for deattaching elements (as you can see in a machining analysis)!

By the way, for accurate results in this case, you should use a GREAT QUALITY MESH!!!

Best regards,

Running my analysis about Hertz contact, i've found that message a lot of time "TOO MANY ATTEMPTS MADE FOR THIS INCREMENT".

I suggest you to run your just with automatic stabilization (step, look for damping factor), for example with a high damping factor: your solution will be not accurate, but in this way you should get convergence, thus you can look at your results undestanding the exact behaviur of your model.

This can help you to isolate problem regarding boundary condition and load application.

Fabi0

PS: have you looked into .dat file? What does it says?

You could also try to preload with small displacement to close contacts or (I never test this, but I heard that it sometimes help) simply leave "empty" step to let solver find all contacts.

regards
Tomek

Dear Krzy79,
are you modeling the soil with nonlinear properties? If this is the case, you should use a more dense mesh. Regards,

Sebastian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back