Tool or workflow similar to Wave Geometry in NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamakela

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2011
FI
Hi,

is there similar functionality in SW2013 as in NX that allows the linking of individual surfaces or entire solid bodies from other parts in an assembly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, I don't mean constraints. In SW nomenclature I believe 'Top-Down modeling' is the closest thing that resembles Wave Geometry from NX.

I think you will want to research In-contexting or as you said it top down design in the help. You can in-context sketches and features using other components of an assembly or within the assembly. I have done this extensively over the years and be aware its dangerous when your not sure what your doing using the in-context relationships of SW, which is why I recommend you look into it before doing it.

hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Thank you for the answers; I think there is a acceptable workflow similar to Wave Geometry in SW. Although it seems quite as not as powerful as in NX, this particular workflow seems to work as expected.

The purpose is to have a high level design intent and curvature (using industrial design concept) that drives the whole assembly.

In-contexting will do what you said and is very powerful, you just have to be careful because once you gain a circular reference you will might to fight and find the problem. Which is one reason I recommend you slowly build it up and use the assembly as the control of each component I use a design table as my control.

I built a complete water spray house (a large machine that cleans parts on a conveyor system) and it was controlled by 3 dimensions and about 4 options and the entire assembly updated along with all the parts (about 1000 components)and the drawings as well. So what took months in AutoCAD took only a short time to update the assembly and components and about an hour to update drawings, which was just minor clean up and adjustment.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back