Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tool Retract Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigguy136

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2011
US
The tooling I use is Ø8" (grinding wheels) and after I make a grind path, the grinder combines X, Y and Z to go to the next path. The problem is with such a large tool bit, the wheel will hit fixtures ect. I've tried to add more retract but the grinder can only retract in one direction just so far. I need to have my rapid/ transfer go in direction X for a distance then go in Y for a distance ect. Is there an option for this?

NX7.5

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only option I can think of is for you to program the clearance points into your toolpath where you want them.

You also need to understand how the machine tool treats a rapid command when XYZ values are in the same line. On feed in, most do the XY, then the Z. On retract, they do the Z move, then the XY. You may be able to use the NX Home point in your program as an internediate point.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks looslib,

I worked with a clearance point but the path went straight to it. I need up first, over second ect.
It might be something in the grinder itself??

You can probably modify the post so that it outputs the individual axis on separate lines:

Clearance point = x : 12.00 , y : 6:00 , z: 10.00

Posted output:

G0 Z10.
X12.
Y6.

NX 7.5.4.4, NX 8.0(Evaluating)
Tecnomatix Quality 8.0.1.3

A brute force option might be to put a basic retract in the milling operation with out a move to the clearance, and then insert a Generic Motion operation imediately after, that will take the tool along whatever path you need.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

I do this type of thing all the time. Getting long tools safetly into parts on a 5-axis machine sometimes requires some fancy moves.

There is no "neat and tidy" way to do it. It takes some planning.

The way I approach it is with "GOTO" points in the start and end events of each tool path.

you can make the tool dance around anywhere you like however, the points will not update if you change something. You need to keep track of them yourself.

Alternately, if I am going to be repeating the same "retract" move after every toolpath, sometimes I will create a machine control event(operation) containing the moves and copy and past as required.

J

NX 6.0.5.3

I will sometimes use a fixed or variable contour operation using points as the drive method to create an approach or departure path to get the tool to or away from the part. This way it stays associative to the points if I need to move them later.

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6.0.5.3

One advantage of Generic Motion is that you can make the points and vectors associative, if you select geometry when you define them. Even if you offset from those points, they will remain associative. If you drag the dynamic handles to get the points and vectors, then they are not associative.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back