Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

toolbars 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbro151

Aerospace
Aug 28, 2006
US
My toolbars are constantly changing position on me. Yes, sometimes I'm sloppy and drag them around, but, after I fix them, they seem to migrate again. Can I select a default configuration that always appears, or is the structure of them contained in the files I create?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By default there is no admin location, you have to define it.

Oh yes - silly me. [purpleface]

I do trust (because my team create them) CATReferenceSettingPath CATSettings. I do not trust (because users works with them) CATUserSettingPath CATSettings.

There is no reason in the world not to trust CATSettigns that are defined by the user, if the user creates them from an fresh session, before doing any work, and saves the backup right away. They become questionable only after the environment has been in use for a while.

I've NEVER had any problems with my CATSettings. But then again, I follow my own advice, and dedicate a block of time to doing nothing in Catia, but defining the settings that I want, and saving them. If I have to redo some settings, I go BACK to the saved CATSettings, (which are faultless) replace the existing with them, and add my new setting changes.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Sarcastic7 - they (the admin settings) reside on a server. Now I have 1 set that governs dozens of CV5 users.

Sorry, Derek. I wasn't being sarcastic. Just plain ignorant, I'm afraid.

I don't administer other users. Since we have multiple customers, in multiple industries, I leave settings up to each designer on each job, as we don't have full-blown processes. Our customer requirements tend to be more more like snowflakes, and we need the ability to adapt to that.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

KBRO151...

What is your screen resolution... We use 1280x1024 and I would not recommand using a smaller one...

What level of V5 are you using? Which toolbar is moving ?

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I'm using 1280x1024 resolution and V5 R16. My toolbars tend to slide towards the corners of the screen. I've also lost some; the worst was the loss of my Product Structure Tools toolbar. I couldn't find that one anywhere. I tried everything but could not get it to reappear. I turned off all the toolbars but that one and still couldn't find it.

If the toolbars are saved when you exit the last window, does it save when I exit my last drawing and again when I exit my last product, or just once when I exit CATIA? Also, why is it that I can change the toolbars in a part and then open up another part and find that the toolbars are different? I'm trying to get a better idea of how the program is working.

Catia saves toolbars on exit of the program. If you are running 1280X1024 try using the small icons. It has stabilized my toolbars. Customized -- Options.

Regards,
Derek

So if I change the toolbars in my part I should immediately quit CATIA. This might finally be penetrating my thick skull.

Hi,

There is somebody else which is using your user in the same time?

Because if its closing CATIA after you and have different arrangement of the toolbars, its clear what is happening, isn't it?

Regards
Fernando

I have found that the worst (but not the only) cuplrit is the Visualization Toolbar - you know, the one that has Fit All In and Rendering Style. This toolbar is very prone to pushing everything left of it further to the left every time you restart CATIA. When I undocked that toolbar, the rest of them seem to stay in place a lot better.

Also, on the Reference Settings will take multiple paths. The first path is the overriding path, with the second one only fixing those things that the first doesn't lock or specify, etc. Setting your "safe" settings to the second folder, and then write protecting it, should help you when you go to delete your base settings. I believe (but can't verify right now) that the User Settings work similary.

I'm with Eric, when we have as many users as we do (~2000), then I never trust what the user has set up. There are just too many settings and too many users - I can't keep up with it all. We have provided them with a utility that will delete their settings whenever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back