Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toolbox data migration '05 to '06 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdan27

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2003
CA
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to transfer directly (export or smth) all the modifications and addings of my current toolbox (2005 sp3) to the 2006 upgrade. There is probably a quick way, but I don't know it (hei, what are the forums for? :)

I know about the Copy Settings Wizard, but I couldn't find any info regarding the toolbox - I have modifs like the company's part numbers, derived standards, added special fasteners in the derived ones etc. It seems I should be looking for a tool to extract the database mdb info from a (former release) backed-up toolbox file, but I can't find any (tool).

Any suggestions /links etc would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Type toolbox upgrade using the search button located just above your name in the first post. That will give you a list of several previous posts on this topic.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Thanks Cor, I guess I should have tried the advanced search from the beginning.. the simple search doesn't return anything, not even for the simple 'toolbox' - at least not on my computer..

I ran into the same problem today and found a way to transfer all the toolbox \ hole wizard data from 2005 to 2006. I don't know if the method is approved or not, but it seems to have worked for me.

1. Copy your 2005 solidworks data folder to the location where you want your 2006 solidworks data folder.

2. If you have Microsoft Access, browse to the SWBrowser.mdb file that you just copied for 2006(...\solidworks data\lang\english)and open the file.

3. Go to the table entitled "VERSION" and change the value from the old version to the new version. For example, change 9.06 to 10.16.

4. Save the file and you should be ready to rock and roll.

Maybe I am missing something here... but - When you upgrade to SW06 all you need to do is point the install to the Toolbox location. When it installs it does not overwrite anything in the TB location. It will only add any new files to location of your TB. If it was to overwrite a file(s) then it would defeat the purpose of having TB.

You should always make a back up before doing such critical upgrades, just in case.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

If as Scott suggests, you point the installer to an existing SolidWorks data folder it upgrades the contents of that folder. If you watch at the right time the installer actually has messages about updating the toolbox and making database changes.

Probably the best practice would be to copy the 2005 solidworks data folder to a new location for 2006 and then point the installer at that. This should work even for a multiuser environment as when you run the installer on the first computer it updates the data, and when you run the installer on subsequent computers it sees that the data is up to date and continues on.

Eric

Hi to all,

I had the same problem, being in a multi-environment toolbox layout. I contacted my SW supplier and this is what he told me to do. This is the PROPER way of updating your TOOLBOX.

1. Execute the "UpdateBrowserData.exe" found in the "C:\Program Files\Solidworks\Toolbax\data utilties" directory.

2. In the "Updating Database" field, browse to the "updatedb.mdb" file in the default directory: "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\Toolbox\data utilities\lang\English\".

3. In the "Database to Update" field, browse to the "SWBrowser.mdb" file in the default directory "C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\SolidWorks Data\lang\English\" (if on a main server, then browse to in there).

4. In the "Current Version Database" field, you can leave it blank.

5. Then click on UPDATE button to update the Toolbox with the diffrent configurations. (because by default, SW Toolbox parts come in 1 configuration, and others are added each time you creat one).

It worked for me...so enjoy it.

Colombo75

Industrial Designer
SW2006 SP1.0

Anyone have a way to only upgrade the toolbox without installing solidworks? Assuming the following senario; Multi user environment with shared toolbox on the network. All seats are upgraded but the toolbox was never pointed to the network location during any of the upgrades. Is there anyway to run the toolbox upgrade only and get any additional files?

ColeM CSWP

For my own information, what exactly happens during the install to upgrade the toolbox? We just did this here - installed SW2006 and pointed the install at our shared toolbox location (after making a backup of the shared location). After the install, one of our users opened an assembly which was using toolbox parts and got bombarded with a list of toolbox parts which were missing configurations. This of course completely hosed his assembly.

I compared the new toolbox directory with the backup and it appeared that the data was still there (# of files, file size of the toolbox directory, etc.) but that SWX wasn't recognizing this fact.

What happened?

Thanks,
Dave Gowans

Well when the upgrade is made it is not suppose to update any existing files, but things happen (that is why backups are recommended before upgrading). The only thing that is suppose to be upgraded is only parts that are not in the TB already and the update version of the swbrowser.mdb file

You should check the toolbox.ini file and make sure that is looking in the right location for those TB parts.

Did you backup the *.mdb file? If the DB is missing the data that could cause the issue as well.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Did you do a fresh install (i.e., removing al previous SW files and modif the registries)?

Did you target the right folder? (in this folder you should have at least these folders: Browser, CopiedParts, Lang, PartLibs) - to make sure you chose the right location check the file Toolbox.ini from SolidWorks\Toolbox folder.

If you don't have the right path, edit the Toolbox.ini file (don't forget the \ at the end, save it, restart SW, and make sure the Toolbox (which is an add-in) is loaded. If still doesn't work as it should, you need to reistall SW after replacing the whole data folder with the backed-up one. Pay attention to input the right location and it's impossible to get a screw up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back