Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toolbox drop file error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowman

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2004
US
Hello,
I am currently having problems with our shared toolbox installation. Whenever an assembly is built which contains a type of toolbox fastener (let's say a panhead machine screw), later when trying to add another panhead machine screw I get a "toolbox drop file error" and am not allowed to add the part. I can copy the one that I already placed in the assembly and then change the fastener size but this seems like a hassle. Another user here is seeing the same problem, but one other user seems to have no problem at all with this. To me this would tell me that the shared toolbox rights are correct, but that me and the one other user have some setting screwed-up. So far I haven't been able to find one. We are all running service pack 3.0. Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm getting the same Toolbox - Drop File Error, The part is being modified by another user. All of my co-workers are also getting similar errors, can you tell me how to fix it? Thanks much.

Make sure that all your toolbox hardware is set to Read-only. This prevents this action from happening.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2005 SP3.1

I'm having similar issues. The new company I'm working for doesn't have the Toolbox in a shared directory and the users (4 total) have been using everything off there hard drives. Yikes!

I copied my colleagues toolbox parts (the one with the most assemblies and toolbox configurations) onto the network and mapped the ini file to that. Ok....When I open his assy on my computer I get toolbox errors (toolbox still pointing to the C:/ drive) not finding his configurations. I talk with tech support and said I need to go to tools, options, file locations. reference documents and map to the toolbox folder on the network. Ok...now it opens correctly...what gives? Now I have an ini file and reference docs point to the same nework folder. Is that right?

Now that I filed the assy document, I return to refenece documents in the tools options area and delete the link, hit ok to save the changes and reopen the assy doc. Now it opens correctly (toolbox now points to the network folder S:/ drive).

Anyways...back to the thread...My assy will not allow me to drop a toolbox part into to my assy. It sez the parts already open and then crashes.

My ini file is correct and is mapped correctly.

I know the other users are going to have errors on there assy's, but it's the price you pay when things are done half a$@.

We're moving to PDMWorks in a couple of month's and these items need to be resolved.

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Sr. Mechanical Designer
macduff's SW page
Inhouse System
Pentium(4)2.80GHz
Ram 1.00 GB
SW2005 Office SP 3.1
Windows 2000 SP4.0
NIVIDA Quadro4 750 XGL

Hi, navillusnorenmac:

This problem happens because of file conversion from old version to new one. If you start a new assembly, you should not have any problem.

To work around this problem, you can do one of the followings:

1. Remove all instances of that particular toolbox part ("panhead machine screw" for an example) from your assembly document. Save and close the assembly document and reopen it. Now, you should be able to drop your toolbox part into your assembly

or

2. Just open your assembly with lightweight components. Go to "Tool" menu, select "Option", and then click "Performance". Check "Automatically load components lightweight" box. Now reopen your assembly. You should be able to drop your toolbox part into your assembly.

It is not an ideal solution, but it will help you before SW fixes the problem.

Alex

Still crashing in 4.0 My assy sez toolbox is in the C:/ drive (through properties), but the drag and drop toolbox items are coming from the S:/ network drive (through toolbox browser). I can insert new parts that are not in the assy, but trying to use the same toolbox part won't.

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Sr. Mechanical Designer
macduff's SW page
Inhouse System
Pentium(4)2.80GHz
Ram 1.00 GB
SW2005 Office SP 3.1
Windows 2000 SP4.0
NIVIDA Quadro4 750 XGL

Long shot. ..

The only thing I could think of in that case is that perhaps the SolidWorks install was installed into a non-standard directory (like I do) such as Program Files\SolidWorks2005 or something to that effect. If that is the installation type, then there is a partner directory of Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks2005 Data that should include the "2005" in the directory name, just in case.

When you upgrade service packs, you need to remember to change the installation directories of both from their standard directories with no "2005" name so it matches your initial installation.

That's a long shot, but if you check your computers in which SW is installed--if you have both kinds of directories--you may need to reinstall recent service packs to get everything set right (since it was probably missed somewhere along the line).

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

Theophilus,
Checked the programs files and sez "Solidworks" and the common file area has "Solidworks Data". Seems that I'm ok. I'll hunt around to see if I can anything else out-of-the-ordinary.

Thanks for your help,

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Sr. Mechanical Designer
macduff's SW page
Inhouse System
Pentium(4)2.80GHz
Ram 1.00 GB
SW2005 Office SP 3.1
Windows 2000 SP4.0
NIVIDA Quadro4 750 XGL

Status