Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toolbox parts reverting to "default" configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

DShields

Civil/Environmental
Jun 3, 2004
US
I've been working with SW for just over a year now, primarily for modeling covered bridge rehabilitations. (I am currently running SW 2004 SP1.0) Just recently I've been running into a problem with the toolbox bolts, nuts, washers, lagscrews, etc. reverting back to the default configuration no matter how many times I've tried to re-assign and save the correct sizes. If I was only using one size bolt, etc. it wouldn't be a problem since I could tell it to 'Use component's "in-use" or last saved configuration' in the properties dialog box.

I need to get shop drawings sent out and this problem isn't isolated to the models, it also occurs in the drawings.

Any help you SW veterans can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have more than one station there, meaning do you have multiple Toolbox databases around the office or are you using one toolbox database?

If the assembly was built by a colleague on his station and he has TB installed there and you opened up the file at your station, then TB is looking at your HDD for the same configurations. SW TB wouldn't find it and revert back to the default Configs that you have.

Is this the possbile case there?

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

We have 4 workstations with individual installations of SW and TB. The only files that are shared between computers is the actual part, assembly and drawing files. I am also the only one working on the model of this project. We do have an intern working on putting the drawings together, but he has not changed any of the model parts.

Toolbox part sizes consistently reverting to default values under all sorts of odd circumstances can be a sign of a corrupted VB install on the computer. When Visual Basic is corrupted, SolidWorks equations stop working, and the most obvious sign of the that is in the Toolbox parts. (old-style Excell BOMs may also behave badly)

Check it by opening a Toolbox gear, sprocket, or hex socket fastener, then examine the values in the equations of the part, and compare them to the dimension values in 1 or more of the sketches. If the dimensions and the equations will not line up after a [Ctrl][Q] full rebuild of the part, VB is broken on that machine.

Reinstalling a Microsoft Office application or SolidWorks itself is enough to fix Visual Basic on most machines. Once VB is restored, a simple rebuild of the part file configurations is enough to correct the sizes. (there are a number of free macros around that will rebuild the current part configs for you)

Improper MS Office or IE add/in installations are the most common source of VB corruption, or it can sometimes be a bad OS patch or flaky hard drive. Once it is working again, do a quick preventative maintenance check on your machine just to be safe.

DesignSmith

You need to install the toolbox as a multi-user environment. See SW website for the guide to perform this. Your not using the same DB that's why your bolts are not coming in correctly. The bolt configs are saved on your coleagues computer and is not transfered because you opened up his file. You will have to get his list of parts form him and copy them over yours to get it to work. By doing that you lose what you have made in your TB.

Check out the Multi-user installation.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

correct me if I'm wrong-
1. I create a model using custom parts and toolbox parts

2. Another user creates drawings of these parts on another computer, with another toolbox causing them to revert to the default

3. I reopen the model with the default configurations, edit the model and save, thus reverting my toolbox to the default configuration.

Now I presume I'll have to re-insert the toolbox parts, but this time from a shared location

-Dave

Not to throw a wrench in the solution, but I have experienced this problem with toolbox in an environment where I am the only solidworks user.

I don't use toolbox, so I'm guessing...

Can you use design tables to "reinforce" which configuration is specified? I find DT's help when using config-specific equations.

[bat]Due to illness, the part of The Tick will be played by... The Tick.[bat]

Follow the instructions for a shared installation.
But before anyone uses it, copy the SWBrowser.mdb and the *.sldprt files from the computer that has the most configurations used already.
That should help minimize the amount of work needed to repopulate with the correct sizes again.

DesignSmith

I insert the hardware I want from TB, then open the part, save it as a copy in my project directory with a descriptive filename and replace the instance(s) in the assembly with the copy. I then open the copy part and delete all but the desired configuration, add custom properties for my BOM, and save it. I can't guarantee that this absolutely nails the definition, but it seems to work in my environment.

I'd like to see TB lose the equations and use a design table. There are some constructions in there that are not at all amenable to editing. I suppose equations saved someone some effort, but it wouldn't have been any harder to populate a design table using the same formulas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back