Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tooling Engineer Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

frotojk

Mechanical
May 27, 2008
US
Hello all. I am a recent ME graduate and searching for a position.

An opportunity has come along to work for a manufacturing company as a tooling design engineer (dies and such). Though up to now I have been mostly looking into product design, I saw this as something comparable.

I live in New Jersey and I realize manufacturing isn't very strong here. But I wonder what kinds of opportunities exist in this specialty? I am not looking to be a manufacturing engineer per se, that is dealing with workflows, factory layout, or process engineering, but I do enjoy the design aspect. Any comments and advice would be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, given the less than positive outlook for manufacturing in the USA I guess you could say it will be a great launch for an international career.

Tooling designers are very interesting people to talk to, from the other side of the table. One advantage compared with product design is that your customer is usually somewhat realistic about what he wants from you (I'll wait for wails of laughter from the tooling engineers).

Again from an automotive perspective, Toyota put their fast-track graduates into manufacturing, not product design, according to "The Toyota Way".

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

From the people I work with and my job, so far manufacturing in the US has been going well with the drop in value of the USD. My division has been at max production for the last three months and it doesn’t look like it will slow down.

I would say for the near future -while to doller is low- it will keep you employed and if you get 3D design experience, you will have an advantage over most product designers when you decide to change jobs. Often designer’s don’t know/think of the manufacture of a product creating a lot of revisions or even field modifications.

Best of luck

You may end up designing dies that will actually be manufactured overseas. That has its own set of challenges, but the work should be as stable as any other engineering career today.

Be aware that you will encounter old timers who don't have a degree. They may have the terminology and maybe the science all wrong, but they know what they are talking about. Suck their brains dry while you can.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

as a new grad, how can yo go wrong accepting a job ? worst case scenario, you don't like it and quit; best case, you like tooling design and fall into your life's work

good luck

When I was first looking for work in the US, admittedly in CA not your neck of the woods, there were all kinds of jobs for tooling guys. Made me wish I knew more about it, I applied for some but they all wanted experience.

So you being able to get your foot in the door may be a good thing.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

The US will always have that capacity. The level of experience, specialty, and speed to turn a project around will keep those industries alive in the US. The market may shrink, but all the more reason to get in early and learn a lot why you can.

--Scott

Thank you all for your replies. I'm glad others have a positive outlook for this industry.
I don't actually have an offer yet, but I've had two interviews with the company and it looks very promising. Nevertheless doing many interviews gives you a chance to explore the various facets of ME.

-John

I think for the near future the outlook is good for a tooling designer. We use both domestic and international toolmakers. They all seem to be busy.

From what I understand, China makes the tools, messes it up, and the US supplier makes us a whole new tool. Plenty of business for everyone ;)

But as someone else said it could be an international career. Get ready to travel overseas when they mess something up. Unless this place machines everything in house.

The toolmakers we use in China sometimes do not use inserts in the tool. That means if it is incorrect to begin with, dropped or mishandled, it might need completely redone. And these are complex parts. Glad I am not the program manager ;)

my .02

I would say you will be able to be a better designer if you understand how the manufacturing process is done. So basically do it in reverse, learn how the parts are made then you will see how they should be designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back