Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Top end UG systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMgt

Aerospace
Nov 16, 2009
US
Similar to my other thread but with a little different focus. I'd like to hear from UG NX users that have gotten new systems in 2009 that they really think are top end. How much memory, type of processors, graphics cards and monitors? What would you have changed? If you could have gotten the company to spend another $500 what would have made the biggest difference in your opinion. What seems to not have much impact?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My answer is different depending on 32 vs 64 bit systems.

If 32 bit, larger monitor and faster graphics card because you are memory bound. A faster CPU is only a marginal increase.

On a 64 bit system, memory, if you need it for large models. Otherwise the same as 32 bit.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I'd rather ask whether I was spending $500 too much on a system and say that graphics for example may be your bottleneck or hard disk performance. All the extra memory in the world is of little use to you if you can't get the rubber on the road in terms of bottlenecks in your peripherals or underwhelming system architecture.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Working on XP prof SP2 32bit.

I got a Dell Precision T7400 at the end the year of 2008.
Specs: 2 Intel Xeon CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz (=2xquadcore)
6Gb RAM (3Gb switch set)
Nvidia Quadro FX 1700
Seagate 70GB HD SCSI
Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx gigabit Controller

Check out the website of Dell for different configuration and prices;

Very pleased with the configuration, the only thing i would like to change is the HD , switching to a SSD (solid State Disk) in the future.

Keep in mind that if you're working with TCE, the network speed (server config.) is also important. Load/save times.

Best regards,

Michäël.

NX4.0.4.2 MP10 / TCE 9.1.3.8_build_0711 / NX6.0.2.8 / NX7.0.0.9

Belgium

Hey Pascal

I'm from the provence Antwerp, more specific Turnhout.

Met hartelijke groet.

Best regards,

Michäël.

Belgium

Good guess, knowing someone here? Or also a philips employe?

Best regards,

Michäël.

Belgium

Hi Michael,

I do not know people @ Philips Turnhout, Some @ Bornem I know.

I am contractor, and so not related to Philips, but the UG world in Belgium is very small, so we might have met @ an open House...

Pascal

I'm no computer genious, but I do know that the new box I have works much faster than my old one. I have fewer generic "memory" errors than before as well. I'm using Windows 7, and have been happy with its performance too. Here's what I've got:

Dell Precision T3500
Intel Xeon Quad Core 2.67 GHz
12 GB RAM
NVidea Quadro FX 1800

@ pdwispe

if you're going to an open House, give a sign at michael dot verheyen @ philips dot com.
So we can met in person.

Best regards,

Michäël.

Belgium

I am running...

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition
Version 2003
Service Pack 2

Dell Precision PWS690
Intel Xeon Dual CPU
5150 @ 2.66GHz
2.66 GHz, 12.0 GB of RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600
768 MB

I had a similar system as Dpackard at my last employer. Dell Dual Xeon... dual stripped scsi drives, 32bit so only 4gb of ram, had FX4600 as well. I did cam programming of impeller/turbine type stuff. I never ran out of ram. So now my current system I built (contracting) is an Intel i5 with 4gb of ram, Nvidia FX1700, single 7200 rpm drive (with usb external drive for backups). I'm still on 32bit XP. This system works amazingly well for only costing about $1,000. I think that last system was closer to $4000 so I'm happy.

--
Bill

thom9446,
I hope you are running Windows7-64bit or else you wasted a lot of money on 8GB of memory.

Ben Loosli

looslib,

Surely no computer salesman would allow their customers to deploy such an inappropriate configuration?

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

What's the difference between a car salesman and computer salesman?

The car salesman KNOWS when he is lying.

Ben Loosli

Update on my original post. We purchased what essentially was an HP gaming machine. i7-975 processor with 18 GB RAM, 1 GBS network card, with 1.8 GB NV 260 gaming graphics card. From a pure specs standpoint, most of this system is 8-10 times the system we used before. We are quite happy with what we have for our money. The FEA we run with the new setup can exceed the 12 GB next step down RAM limit. We put two 24" 1920x1200 moniotrs with the system. If the gaming card performance is less than we could with a high end CAD card apparently what we are doing with UG doesn't show those problems. We achieved our goals and stayed in a budget of $3,500 for the hardware, Windows 7 (64 bit) and MS Office Pro.

We just ordered two 28" monitors for our next system we are upgrading and will probably get similar hardware for the computer.
Thanks for the various input it was useful.

The only issue will come IF you do start seeing graphics issues with your setup. Siemens MAY require you to verify that you see the same issue with a certified system configuration before they will look at it.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back