Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Top level sketch won't update parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD80

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2008
US
I am working with an assembly (SW 09 SP 5.0). I have the main assembly and 3 sub assemblies. Each of the sub assemblies can be sized using the same dimension. I have used some equations to reference part dimensions to a sketch in the top level assembly.

I got the master copy to work correctly, updating how I want. This assembly will be used to generate about 50 more variances of this product type. My problem comes up when I rename the assembly. The equations do not update.

Any idea how to make this work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use DriveWorksXpress. It's already in '09 under 'Tools'.

Beyond that, how are you renaming the assembly?

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Design Manager/Senior Designer
M9 Defense
My Blog

I do recall something about having to do a couple of rebuilds to get equations to update all the way throughout the tree. After you do your renaming, hit Ctrl+Q a few times and see if that helps.

I think you might want to check out DriveWorksXpress, if you haven't. It's a knowledge based add-in that may save you some headaches.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
M9 Defense
My Blog

I do not know how a "Pack & Go " is different to Renaming thru SWX explorer. But I seem to have no problems with a "Pack & Go" plus a Ctrl + Q.

Give it a go & see if that helps.

Cheers

I have had problems similar to that. Sometimes the equations will not update untill you go into the equation editor. You don't have to do anything, just hit OK.

I THINK it happens when some of the equations use the values from other equations, but I haven't spent the time to track that down for sure.

There is no solution that I know of other than a macro or that listed above.

Hope that helps,

John

I tried the rename in solidworks explorer, and had the same issue. I changed the assembly name from assembly.sldasm to newassembly.sldasm. The equation still reads D1@sketch1@assembly.sldasm.

I used forced rebuild on the top level assembly, sub-assembly, and a part just to make sure.

It seems like I must use Driveworks if I want this to work correctly.

That's kind of what I figured you were seeing.
Try this:
Open your main assembly, update the dimension(s) you need to, File->save as. Before saving, click the references button. In the screen that opens, you can change the sub-assemblies' names and location, as well as the main assembly. I'm not 100% sure this will work for you, but it's worth a try.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
M9 Defense
My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back