Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

torch direction cannot parallel to a segment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haozi_

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2023
AU
Hi there,

I'm trying to simulate the FDM process, and the simulation abort in half way with warnging: torch direction cannot parallel to a segment.M_ACT_1
It works with previous with around 70 increments, I can't find any differeces between the successed results and those with errors.
There's no information about this error in internet.
Is there anyone having same problem with me? Please share if you have and figured that out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi FEA way,

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently using Abaqus 2023. I'm trying to get the NT11 for thermal analysis and Von Mises for structural results.
Please let me know if you need more details about it.

I found the problem caused while the material input in event series moving in parallel direction to the stack direction. E.g. the error happens while the nozzle moves from (x,y,z) to (x,y,z+1).
I tried to change the orientation of heating source but it doesn't work. And this movement is pretty common in the g-code thus I guess there's some other things wrong with my settings.

I was rather thinking about the AM process simulation features such as heat source type. There is a limitation of concentrated moving heat source that all path segments where the tool is enabled must be perpendicular to the global Z axis. It’s mentioned in the documentation chapter "Point Toolpath-Mesh Intersection".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back