Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Torque calculation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpyblade

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2008
GB
I am having a problem with clarifying the following question. I need to know what torque to apply at the shaft to acheive the required torque at the faces indicated, see attached sketch.

The torque multiplier is an enclosed arrangement of gears, with an input socket (to take a torque wrench), and output sprocket,(which fits the drive shaft), designed so you can set your torque wrench to 125th of the final output.

I don't know whether I am right but if I apply 19.2 ft/lb x 125 = 2400 x 5" (radius of gear) = 12000 ft/lb.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems to me that everyone is overthinking the problem. The answer to the specific question asked on the drawing is "You need to apply 12000 ft-lb at that point to achieve 12000 ft-lb at the output."

Let's not forget that this is a question given to the OP by his management.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I would like to thank all contributors to this thread, for their assistance, I hpoe I didn't get anyone too confused, as unclesyd says torque multipliers are readily available, the one we have is quite an impressive piece of kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back