Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

torque converter sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigTomHanks

Mechanical
Dec 12, 2004
US
How do manufacturers size torque converters for a particular vehicle? Do they do a trial and error until they get the characteristics they are looking for or are torque converters given classifications that can be used to size them for a particular vehicle weight, torque, etc? I'm trying to size one for my applications and am having a hard time selecting the correct one that will give them the characteristics I am looking for with any confidence.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ISTR that the primary parameter used is 'stall speed', i.e., the input RPM where input torque and output torque (at zero speed) are the same. I also STR that it varies with the fifth power of diameter, so even a visually indistinct change can make a big difference in performance.

I remember one really low-buck hotrodder who replaced a 283 Chevy with a 348 Chevy in a rapidly aging Impala, back when that was a big car. To soup it up, he used the 283's converter behind the 348. I think the difference in converter OD was on the order of two inches, which is really quite a lot in converterland. The kid was hooning it around for about two weeks before he broke a rear axle control arm bolt or something like that. With the too-small converter, the big engine would spin up fast enough and far enough to annoy the neighbors, even when he wasn't trying to.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I'm pretty sure aftermarket manufacturers have programs to determine this, engine size, cam/power range, weight, gear ratio, etc. would all be entering arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back