Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Torque curve placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

phasers

Automotive
Jan 6, 2002
US
Building an engine for a work truck. Question is where to put the torque curve. Engine will probably run in the 2200-3200 rpm range for most of its life. Where should peak torque be?

anybody??

phasers

P.S. Engine is '85 460 ford, carb, auto with 3.54 gears.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say peak torque 2,200 rpm, peak power 3,200 rpm, but a lot depends on a lot of factors not mentioned.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Hey Pat---you hit my 1930 Model A Fords power curve "on the button"! Torque is 'flat' from 1800 to 2400 and power flatens out between 3000 and 3200...(all stock specs except for "B" cam and 7:1 CR head with NGK B-6ES plugs.

Somehow I doubt I could pull anything like "work truck" duty, indeed! ;-)

Rod

Hi Rod

Isn't modern technology fantastic. You can reinvent things from 80 years ago and feel so good about it.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Ok, here is my 2 cents. Put the torque curve around 1,800, then let it pull through approx. 2,800. By then the hp will take over and pull you through. You want the torque down low to pull you off the line....stop light....up hills, and the hp will take over after you get moving. Or you can call a reputable cam co. (comptetion cam, lunati,(spelling?), etc. They can hook you up.
Barney

Barney Demonbreun
Technician for Gary Force Acura, and owner of;
Ashland Motorsports
1304 Big Marrowbone Rd.
Ashland City, Tn. 37015

My take on it is a bit different. What RPM will it mostly cruise at? I would set peak torque to be at, or slightly greater than this RPM. Fuel mileage with today's fuel prices is an important consideration when you're driving a 460.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back