Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Torque/Moment Calculation of PTO shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

singh343

Agricultural
Feb 15, 2016
IN
Hi all. I have been handed a new product to market. It is a PTO shaft that provides drive from a tractor to an agriculture equipment mounted to the tractor. This particular CV PTO has 2 U. joints and four yoke components. One of the yoke components is quite different in that it comprises of 2 oblong parts which are mated together. The female part has an inner race and the male part has an outer race and when put together, they form a complete path for bearing balls that are inserted through a side hole. Once the balls are in place, the two parts do not separate but can rotate freely. The rotation is limited by a shear bolt (M10 - 10.9 Grade) at 63mm PCD. Most of the customer I have met ask me the following questions

1. what HP tractor this is designed for?
2. what is the torque of this PTO?

With regards to question 2, I got some tests done through a 3rd party and was given the static torque of 3800 nM. then came the following question.

3. what is the torque at 540 RPM and 1000 RPM?

Please tell me how to calculate the above.

Regards.....

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2797bc6b-777a-46a1-8342-2485906f814d&file=Shear_Yoke.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3,800 Nm and 3,800 Nm.
215 kW and 398 kW (Link)
288 hp and 534 hp

Shock and inertial loads will cause the shear pin to break with smaller engine ratings than these. As a first guess I would halve all the above ratings.

je suis charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back