Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

torque question

Status
Not open for further replies.

raffshore

Marine/Ocean
Dec 30, 2005
BE
I want to use a cummins 12V 5,9 diesel engine to replace a blown chevy 540 BB. the diesel engine puts out 500 HP at 3000rpm with 945lbs at 2000 rmp.
If I would use a speed increaser gearbox of 1 to 2, I convert this to 1000HP at 6000 and 472ft lbs at 4000 wich actually lies close to my BB corrrect?

Questions:
Has anybody done this?
Any leads on a gearbox like this?

Thanks,

Raf

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No. You cannot multiply HP with gears, like you can do with torque. HP is simply torque with the time (power) included.

You can get a million ft. lb. torque from a lawnmower engine but it will take a LONG time to make one full revolution.

Metalguy is correct (in case anyone was wondering). You can't get more power out of a transmission than you put into it. The Cummins engine you described is putting out about 875ft.lbf @ 3000rpm. If you use a gearbox to double the speed, you halve the torque (ignoring losses), so you'd have the same power output (438ft.lbf @ 6000rpm gives about 500hp).

I want to increase speed to lower the torque. Years ago we had yanmar 350HP on bravo drives and I never saw one holding together longer then 30 hours.

The bravo's can handle power and RPM, not torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back