Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Torque Testing bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValveIki123

Electrical
Jul 29, 2013
US
I am trying to design a torque testing station for electric actuators (0-15000lb-in). I want to use a reference torque input connected to a PID. This PID will control the electronic pressure regulator and the air direction control for the pneumatic actuator. There is a load cell connected to a shaft which goes through the electric actuator under test and the pneumatic actuator providing the drive.

I need to plot torque vs angle on the electric actuator. Also I need to collect the torque data for the actuator under test. Looking for help to get started please.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah I am in the same boat as you are.

We are getting requirements from clients to Torque Test Pneumatic DA & SR as well as Electrics. I had a look at Ventil unit but they are after 150k euro for one.

We used to have a setup to test pneumatic actuators that involved a torque transducer, a bracket, a plate with holes in it, and a couple pins. That setup required the user to test at one location, remove pressure, remove the pin, rotate a few degrees, etc. We finally got tired of it and built a new setup.

The best way I've found to get a good test number across the entire stroke is to use a double acting hydraulic actuator (or pneumatic actuator filled with water) as the reaction element. You get a lot better readings than filling the actuator with spongy air. Using flow control valves or electronic flow regulators, you can control the speed at which the water exits the reaction actuator and ensure that the test actuator is using full torque to move the water. Use a bracket to connect the two, and couplers connected to a torque transducer to connect the drives. The tested actuator gets a position transmitter and pressure sensor. Our 10,000 lb-in system cost roughly $8k for all the components, including the transducer, all of the sensors, and the PLC we used to automate it and record readings. Look at Himmelstein for transducers, they're fairly inexpensive and will work well for your purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back