Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

torsion analysis required? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lman321

Structural
Apr 11, 2007
US
Please refer to the attached roof framing plan.

W9x9 cantilevered 8'-0" from column line L. They are fully welded to W24x55. W12x14 are provided for lateral buckling.

I'm trying to avoid a complicated torsional analysis on the W24x55 along L. Is this possible?

Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BA nailed it long ago. Why not use a W18 instead of a W24 and cantilever the W6s over the top?

Would it work as a composite beam with the W6 going across it? Just a thought.

hokie,

Just a brainstorming suggestion that adding concrete in this region may increase the options (even if unconventional)

Lman321,

I think the way to solve this is more financial and architectural than engineering. Give them a scheme that will work exactly how they have designed it no matter how expensive.

Then give them a scheme that is an architectural compromise such as diagonal braces, deeper canopy, or better still a canopy that is deeper toward the building but has the same edge.

Encourage them to get the options priced up.

You will then get to implement your 'compromise'.

I try to never say no to a client, instead I will say that the best I can do is this, this or this and let them make the decision.

csd,

Nothing against brainstorming, but I thought this was just a roof with metal deck, and hadn't thought of concrete as a practical part of the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back