Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Torsion on LVL beam supporting brick 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

structurebeton

Structural
Apr 24, 2003
US
I recently did an inspection on an 18 ft span beam lintel, most likely made of an LVL beam (Drywall is still in place). The beam is supporting half of a 2nd story, roof and brick. The brick is supported on a steel angle which in turn is bolted to the LVL beam. The beam is currently at a deflection of L/300 and the brick facade has cracked. There is also slight twist of the steel angle.

The questions are:
1) Is it allowed by code to support brick with a Pre-engineered wood beam? (Despite the fact that the criteria of L/600 deflection is respected). I could not locate on IBC2006 were this is addressed.

2) Do you have a good reference on calculating strength of a wood beam due to excentric loading, such as brick?

3) In repairing the beam, should we simply replace the wood with a steel tube beam, which then would require steel columns...

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks,

ST

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tried to contact members of the ICC to discuss this IRC code contradiction, but apparently, the only way to talk to an ICC member (They are the ones that wrote the Building Code IRC) is by being a member!!!! For the moment I can't afford being a member of the ICC....

Since the ledge angle is in contact with compressible material it will probably be necessary to needle beam the veneer and replace the angle with one that has a longer horizontal leg. Make sure the angle is galvanized because painted steel will start to rust in a few years.

If the building official will allow it, intumescent paint can be used to fireproof the LVL. If not PSLs are available with fire-retardant treatment.

Have you checked the deflection compatibility of 2-16" LVLs (I=1195) with 3 18" LVLs? (I=2552) There may be more load on the 18" LVLs especially since they are already preloaded with the dead load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back