Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

torsional irregularity and eccentricity checks for structure with basement wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdallah hamdan

Structural
Oct 13, 2021
PS
hello everyone, I'm making a torsional irregularity and eccentricity checks in a building with retaining-basement walls, when I model these walls, which are existed on the basement floor and ground floor, the building will have extreme torsional irregularity and eccentricity of more than 15% (actual 44% in the y direction), how to make these walls not affect the center of rigidity in the model without changing stiffness modifiers of these walls because I think that changing stiffness modifiers will not represent the actual behavior in real life (the walls will have a stiffness).

1_uhngh2.png
2_lkecsc.png
3_khtm3e.png
4_ohqfxh.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you are asking for is not possible. If your wall layout causes torsional irregularity and you wish to amend the problem, you must change the wall layout to reduce the irregularity.

Thank you for reply , Is it possible to separate the retaining walls from the building in certain ways during the work process? To make it just work as retaining wall

Apparently the subject walls height varies with ground slope .. Can you shift the retaining wall to the propertry boundary and detach from the main bldg str?

Is the region high seismic zone?

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure..It is: Try to please everybody.

thank you HTURKAK for your response, I can't shift the retaining wall, it is located in a 2B zone with a Peak Ground Acceleration of 0.2g, and the soil profile is (SB) - Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back