Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

toshiba 2N3055 ,new in box, chinese copy or original??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fokker38cc

Electrical
Jan 17, 2006
AR
Hello
I am an electronic engineer,I am a teacher also.technicians level school.
We are in Argentina,South America.
In experiment class we are using Toshiba transistor 2N3055.
When we start surfing the web for data sheet the students do not find for toshiba 2N3055.Others brand exist.
I am start searching and go to Toshiba America and Toshiba Japan and the 2N3055 do not exist.
The transistor is labeled Toshiba but the letter of Toshiba word is different from older ones I have,the older is handscript type with a line like a semicircle over the top of Toshiba word, all in red color.
The newer are with like this: "TOSHIBA".Also red.
If Toshiba have no the 2N3055 in its stock
Is this a copy?
The transistor is very well made at view. The shoe is thick and transistor is heavy, and have at view the same shoe that the old Toshiba 2N3055 I have.
Many thanks for your time.
Sorry my english.
Jose

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does it work? If so, does it matter who made it?

Are you going to verify reliability? If not, does it matter who made it?

TTFN

fokker38cc; It does not matter whose data sheet you use!! For them to be able to call it a '2N3055' (an extremely common, standard transistor) it must perform the same as anyone else's. Knowing Toshiba they may not even have created a data sheet or an English data sheet.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

itSmoked is correct. If it's called a 2N3055, it must meet the JEDEC spec of the 2N3055

If it helps, please go to our website and use our data sheet for reference. I can even send you a couple of samples if needed...

type 2N3055 in search box

Regards,
Bob
bcallegari@centralsemi.com

Hello
Gentlemans
Yes , the 2N3055 works, and we overcharge when not manage properly and smoke.
We are working at Ic= 4Amps and it work and dissipate 51 watts , calculate from measuring Vc, Ve, and Ic and it works fine.

IRstuff
We only made a regulated power supply and it works fine, the question is only a matter of curiosity.

Itsmoked
Yes we are using data sheets from ST

Boblc
My question is because we are from time to time flooded with copies of transistor labeled for example Tip 31,for example voltage regulator 7812 with brands not known anywhere, finished with sand paper on back very rough(metal) instead of shiny metal, where you need smooth to dissipate , and do not perform . They dont see JEDEC
Also: Many Thanks for your offer to send transistor here
to Argentina, South America, to school, but for the moment
the transistors perform well and we have stock.We bought it,not the school, for this moment.
The govern last two years equiped the laboratories with 11 oscilloscopes, 20 soldering iron, 5 frequencimeters,5 function generators, 1 RF function generator, 2 RLC meters
2 capacitor meters.
More equipment are coming also transistors and IC to make experiments for the students who have no money "equal oportunity for all" plan.
Also equipments for programming PICs, and PLC (2 sets)
The country have oil and royalty are big.
Govern spend in schools very very big money, build, overhaul , equipments, also payment skyroketed, in one year my payment go up 4 (four) times.
We are very happy with this.
Sorry my english , have no enough words I say my feeling in spanish
Reconozco su hombria de bien y su interes por enviar transistores hasta Argentina , aun sin haberselo pedido.
Su accion me reconforta y se lo hare conocer a los estudiantes .
Usted es una persona con etica profesional
Le agradezco su oferta pero por el momento no es necesario.
No queremos abusar de su generosidad.
Muchas gracias
Jose Domijan
Rawson
Chubut
Argentina
Colegio Politecnico N# 702 "Dr. Guillermo Rawson"

Many Thanks Gentleman

Many Thanks ,Gentlemans ,to all for your time

See you later
Jose

Status