Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

total discharge head = pressure gage reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp3d2

Chemical
Nov 30, 2009
MY
Helo guys.

I would like to ask one simple question.

i have a network of water being pump through a single pipeline.

By calculation, the total discharge head of my pump is 6.6 bar.

At the same time, the pressure gage on the pump outlet on site is showing a value of 6.5 bar.

Does my total discharge head by calculation is referring to pressure gage reading?

Please check the attached picture for clarification.

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That just means the pressure being exerted at the discharge of your pump is 6.6 bar, and at the guage, the pressure being exerted by the fluid is 6.5 bar. In an ideal situation, the two would match.

"Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them." -James Michener

You are using the words "total discharge head" which is a valid term. Are you using total discharge head as the full word version the acronym TDH?

If so, TDH can also indicate total dynamic head which refers only to the the head rise across the pump, so in that case, to obtain total discharge head (gage reading) you would have to either add or subtract - whichever is the case - the suction pressure at the inlet of the pump.

Could this be what is squirreling up your numbers?

rmw

Total_Discharge_Head =
Suction_head +
Suction Velocity Head +
Pump_Differential_Head +
Discharge Velocity Head

hyd-gradient-med.jpg

From
It is common to ignore the velocity heads. They are usually not very high values. Your pressure gage won't read the velocity head components anyway.

"The problem isn't finding the solution, its trying to get to the real question." BigInch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back