Touring car rear suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madssc

Automotive
Nov 15, 2009
DK
Hi Guys,

I am having a bit of hard time getting my self arround this type of rear suspension.

I can see that roll center location must be defined by the link on top og the triangles and then the angle of these like if it was a lower wishbone, but i find it hard to see which pickup points to combine in order to visualize it.

Does this kind of suspension has a name, I know it was used on older touring cars and the same is used on newer race cars as well, but i really need someone to explain it to me.

Thank you very much!

R19touringCarRearSuspension.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a theory here

Think about the different axis created by those links and joints, and how asymmetric movements of each side would react with those links and joints.

When the each side is under the same load, the entire assembly moves up and down relative to the car and will move on a longitudinal and vertical plane created by the joints bolted directly to the car. However, when side 1 moves more than side 2, the center joint will make side 1 move relative to the axis created by itself and the joint bolted on the frame. The anti roll bar will also help enforce the fact that it cant rotate relative to the front joint on the vertical plane.

When one wheel is getting more force to it than the other one, the suspension will move on a different plane than the one created by the longitudinal link. The Anti Roll Bar constrains it from moving completely on the longitudinal axis relative to the wheel and the car. Then the spindle moves on the axis made by the lower center connecting link/joint and the part that is mounted on the car. When the spindle rises above that axis, it should toe outward relative to the car. While doing that, the top connecting link will either do nothing, or the ball joint will complete its range of motion and force the other wheel to stay in place or go down slightly.

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

The Ford Puma Rallye car had a similar suspension like that, only better from a package point of view. IT was basically a "kinematic" version of the twistbeam suspension but then tunable.

Cheers

dynatune4xl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back