Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TPMs reset requiring magnet, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKhan01

Automotive
Dec 1, 2010
US
Hello everyone,

Curious to know why a magnet is required when resetting certain TPM systems. Somewhere I read it is to make the signal stronger and to notify the receiver of which wheel you are programming, another statement I read was there's a reed switch inside the sensor and the magnet closes it.

Any definitive answers?
Any definitive books on TPM systems?

Thanks everyone

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi NormPeterson,

I checked Bartec, but no detailed info. I am under the assumption that to get to the basics of this I would need to consult a RF signals textbook or something similar as the manufacturers service manuals are tremendously vague.

It's just used to activate the sensor so it transmits a pressure signal. The vehicle tyically has a programming sequence on the sensor setups that require a magnet to program. So, as you put the magnet to each sensor it activates and transmits an ID signal so the vehicle can acknowledge the sensor ID for each wheel in the sequence as you work around the vehicle. I would suspect it's a type of reed switch. It needs to close when the wheel is rotating and the magnet has to be able to close it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back