Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Track Clearances at Passenger Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTK

Structural
Sep 24, 2003
US
I was provided with a sample track clearance diagram for an urban transit authority.

The project that I am working on does not necessarily have to follow these clearances, but I don't want to deviate from them unless absolutely necessary.

One of the clearance dimensions is a distance from the track side edge of the platform to the nearest structural column for the platform canopy. This is not measured from the track centerline so I don't believe the offset exists for the train. My best guess is that it has to do with some other preferred design constraint (such as passenger sight lines, etc..)

Now to my question....

Does anyone know why this offset constraint exists?

I believe the diagram required the structiral column to be a minimum of 8 ft from the edge of the platform (again, it was not related to the centerline of the track).

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Columns should not conflict with passenger waiting and loading space.

Civilperson's answer to your query is correct.

The minimum single face platform width (UK is 2.5m) is to ensure that passengers do not stand on the edge of the platform if there are any non-stopping trains, there will always be a minimum dimension for whatever railway system.

The platform gauge (offset / height relative to the track) needs to be adequate for all trains using the route:-
- Structure clearance (train - platform edge KE clearance)
- Stepping distances (static train step - platform edge)
- Passing clearance (train - train KE clearance).

In the UK we have software which calculates this information for all trains using the route:-
- Kinematic envelope (considering the train characteristics)
- Platform stepping distances (static)
- Platform passing clearances
- Train - train passing clearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back