Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Training and other stuffs... 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotw

Mechanical
May 25, 2013
CA
I know this is subject that has been heavily discussed ; still I feel today a real frustration observing how things are done when it is about training employees;
It looks like some people or management look at training as if this is some sort of bonus or extra.

It is certainly possible to learn things from our own, means by putting efforts and hard work somehow we can educate ourselves.
But training is to me something different. First it is before anything else a signal from management to anyone part of a work team saying that management is willing to do things right. Because things can go wrong they have to be handled responsibly and seriously. "Seriously" looks so easy to say but it really means a lot.

So at first this what it is about : an attitude and a culture of working. And yes managers have to live with the idea that some people will be trained and might leave the company.

Second aspect and that's from an effectiveness view point, training is quite different then self learning. The reason is that it provides a more structured way and the building blocks. So later on when things gain in complexity it differentiates between people facing same level of challenge. Sometimes what it leaves behind is just simple clear rules that might save longs hours of debate and speculation so that people could move on with things.

Then another point is the duration of the training sessions. In general, the "one day session thing" appears to me often not enough.

Of course no one can afford to train everyone on every topic. But certainly there are key topics for a business that requires a commitment in terms of development of people. As I see it training has really deep implications of how people are valued and how humble management attitude is when it comes to technical challenges.

So I wanted to learn about experiences of others on this topic ; For people that have been long enough in business could you please share your perception on how things have evolved in the last years/ decades? Do you notice a specific trend - in other words is it really getting worse...?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

like other, pithy, sayings, e.g., "yankee know-how"

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

carlharr - are you suggesting the US has more of an emphasis on sound body and mind compared to the UK? What makes you think this, all the college & high school competitive sports? If so then I'm afraid you're mistaken unless a lot has changed in the last decade or so. While there are exceptions, many of those partaking in the competitive sports aren't giving similar attention to 'sound mind' and vice versa. The competitive school sports almost takes the place of the lower divisions sports in the UK - at least in some sports.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Hi Kenat, it was a response to the previous comment, where it was mentioned that the US has more of an emphasis on "sound body & sound mind" (together) over academic education. I offered the UK as a comparison, because I think here we have mainly academic emphasis, and not much else, and that really its important to balance all 3.

NX 8.5 with TC 8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back