Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Training for Soils Lab Techs

Status
Not open for further replies.

2010WY

Civil/Environmental
Mar 18, 2010
US
Hello All,

I am looking for hands on training for lab techs. Ideally this would be a few day seminar where they would get hands on experience and practice doing basic soils testing, such as Atterberg Limits, grain size analysis, etcetera in accordance to ASTM and AASHTO standards. Does such a thing exist, and if what can you tell me about it?

Thank you for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Contact a reputable geotech (am guessing that choosing one that is not a local competitor is your best bet haha). Or hire a good mid-level engineer (or an old codger engineering guru) that is capable of training the tech staff (AND junior level engineers) as well as providing oversight on a continuing basis. Training the younger engineers is probably as or more important than training the techs now that I think of it.

You might also look to find training material for the IBC (International Building Code) soil special inspector through ICC (International Code Council). I'm betting that hiring a competetant engineer will be a better choice since many issues don't arise until you're knee deep in projects.

The American Concrete Institute (ACI) has sampling and lab testing training of PCC and HMA aggregate materials. Your state DOT may also have a certification program for aggregate and base course testing & sampling.

Proctor test, Atterberg limits, hydrometer, shrinkage, swell, etc., etc. are probably best pursued at a local technical or junior college or possibly at an adult education program through the local school district, if available. Some companies and Universities now offer on-site training & testing for DOT materials (aggregates & base course materials) certification such as Williams Earth Science here in Florida. I have no affiliation with the firm.

[cheers]
Cheers

The University of Missouri at Rolla has a variety of geotech lab courses. Most are more related to geotechnical testing rather than construction related testing, but you might check. As others have note, local colleges sometimes provide such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back