Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TRANE CH530 Controller "MP Reset has occurred" alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyeTan

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2015
Hi guys,

A lil' bit of introduction: I am a fresh-grad project engineer in a small-ish HVAC company and recently, a client of the company called us to troubleshoot a Trane chiller as it is not providing sufficiently cold chilled water.

During the troubleshooting, the service crew noticed that the alarm history is full of the alarm "MP: Reset Has Occurred". The log suggests that there were approximately 53 incidents of this alarm over the past year of log history in the chiller processor. Is this normal or is there a cause for concern?

The service crew suggested to perform a software update to see if it will get rid of this issue. When I pressed for more detail from him, he suggested that updates for the software will enable the controller to capture the real trip cause and display it in the diagnosis history instead of just passing it off as another "MP: Reset Has Occurred Alarm". Is this really the case? Does this mean that past versions of the software did not enable the controller to capture the trip cause or error?

It all sounds a bit fishy as the service crew then mentioned that there may be a possibility that even with the software update, the situation may not be resolved and if that is the case, the entire controller unit will have to be changed to another unit of the same model or to a newer model.

Anybody here with similar experiences which can perhaps enlighten the situation? Any feedback welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Skye

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dbill74,

I should probably explain that the service crew in the scenario is the Trane rep, nothing out of the ordinary from the sequence of operation or schedule or log as the chargeman monitors the system closely by the hour 24/7.

The real suspicion is that will the update or the controller change sort of solve the problem and prevent the log from being overclumped with the "MP: Reset has occurred" alarm. Both services quoted by the Trane rep is not cheap I tell ya.

Regards,
Skye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back