Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer data from one PLC to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buhsman

Electrical
Apr 5, 2003
US

I have two plc's that basically control one machine. One is a AB 5/04 and the other is a 5/01. What I would like to know is if it is possible to move the data, say an input or an output from one plc to the other without actually running a wire from the output of one to an input of the other. Would it be like transfering data to a panelview by using a block transfer or can it be done at all, I'm not real sure. I realize if it can be done, I would have to upgrade the 5/01 processor to a 5/04. This is not a problem though. I would appreciate any help on this and thanks in advance.

KYLE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The most straightforward way is to put handshaking PLCs on a network.
Panelview may be on the same network.
But be aware about such handshaking speed.
On DH485 you may have up to ~0.5 sec delay reading signals from one PLC to another.

It is called messaging. Look in the help screens in RSLogix under MSG. I hade 4 5/04's talking to each other on one machine. I used the DH+ on the SLC's. There was also a touchscreen on the DH+. The only thing you have to do is set up each PLC and touchscreen with a unique node number and set the communications at the same rate. Once you can see each in RSWho you are ready.
If you have additional questions contact me.

Paul Thomas

Thank you Paul, forgot all about the MSG instruction. In our apps. I've never used it, but looks pretty straight forward. Thanks again.

Kyle

I presume you probably upgraded to 5/04 by now.
The simplest method would be to use a 1747-PIC to interface from the 5/04 RS232 port to the 5/01 DH485 port.

The 5/04 RS232 port should be configured to DH485 protocol to say address 1. The 5/01 set to address 2.

The message instruction is simmple to use. Read the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back