Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfer fans usage in commercial bldg

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeInspector

Military
Aug 30, 2005
CA
I am reviewing a project design that utilizes a transfer fan. It will be located in ceiling of one office room and using grills and ducts, transfer cooler air into a conference room adjacent to orignating room. There are no fire walls, separations, or smoke separations involved.
I have looked through ASHRAE but have found no clear example, most quote exhaust fans for kitchens, bathrooms etc.

Another project just has a straight fan installed in wall of office, drawing in cooler air from main office. Is this allowed?

Any info on allowed usage of transfer fans would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are asking if using these sorts of fans are allowed...the place to look is your City mechanical code.

Transfer fans are quite common here in Los Angeles, especially under Tenant Improvement work taht involves with break rooms and dining areas. We normally use a transfer boots when its from room to room.

I dont know if that made any sense....

HI, I don't think it is an efficient way to cool an adjacent room. Especially since you have no issues with fire walls. The only possible reason would be if there is not enough static pressure in the duct to push the air into the room. This what fan powered VAV boxes are for. Consider the added cost of the fan, wiring, controls, and a short piece of duct and 2 grilles. Also the noise that people in the office and conference room would have to contend with.
By placing a fan in the airstream, you will be adding heat to the air, lowering the cooling capacity. Transfer grilles and ducts are common for return air applications in a ceiling plenum, because the air is warm and you do not have to worry about the throw of the air from a register. It would seem to be allowed, just cheap. These types of wall fans are usually relegated to machine rooms. I recall an elevator machine room that had a thru-wall exhaust fan to the outside and a fire rated louver in the door to pull air from the hallway.
Try to duct it directly, sheet metal isn't as expensive as it was last year.
Dan

Are you sure the fan isn't exhausting from the conference room? We have a common practice of providing an exhaust fan with a speed switch for conference and meeting rooms. It can be used by occupants if they feel it is getting stuffy in the space, or if someone has a strong perfume on the odours can be dissipated more readily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back