Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transfering autoCAD into a Solid Edge sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, or you can open an AutoCAD in draft, and then use the create3D function in the Tools menu. -This enables you to swiftly import left,right and top view as sketches in the part.

Hi,

I've created an IR (#5353570) with UGS asking for an 'import dxf' command in the sketch environment though.

Just in case anybody is interested to join me in this request.

This is because it would save time not to have to go through the draft when handling huge dxf files.

Fred

If you follow the tutorials, there is one step that is omitted.

Open your file with SE as an AutoCAd drawing. Select whatever DFT template you prefer, it doesn't matter. Right click on the file and set the drawing scale to 1:1. Then right click once again and click {Draw in View} and close that dialog box. Go the Tools drop down menu and click Create 3D and draw a box around the items you want to create as a sketch in part mode. Then click finish and a part file with your new sketch is opened and there you go.

Fred,
Sounds like a good enhancement for small files but I don't really think it would be advisable to import huge dxf files straight into a sketch. A big/complex sketch can really slow you down.
I normally filter out/delete loads of stuff before copying and pasting from draft into a sketch or using the Create 3D command.

bc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back